Thursday, August 26, 2010

First Day of School

Wow... what a day.

School started in the high school gymnasium, with children and their family members pooling around the gym enterance. The atmosphere was chaotic - students standing with their friends talking, smaller children chasing each other around - meanwhile the new principal attempts to give a heartfelt welcome. Slowly classes were called, and more than an hour later I went to the front of the gym, microphone in hand, and called my class to whoever was listening in the crowd. Then we walked to our portable.

I had about a 3 minute honey moon.

Then the roller coaster of a day began. I can't and won't give out details of my kids (as it would not only jeopardize my job, but it is also very disrespectful to the kids and the community as a whole. What I will say is that, holy sh*t, do kids ever have energy.) All i can speak to is my role, my job done. I survived, at least! Exhausted, so utterly exhausted, but I survived. My pacing needs work (I rush when I'm nervous!), I must learn to fully demonstrate anything I expect students to complete. Model behavior. Model expectations.
I'm too tired to write, much less plan for tomorrow... I fill "you all" in soon, perhaps this weekend after a nap. Or two.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Geni, I am really enjoying your blog. Glad you got there ok and your accommodations sound great. Sounds like a bit of culture shock, but I guess you have experienced that before in Africa. It must help to have so much in common with your roomate, I am going over to Harrington to see Grandma. Bernard has started the addition to the house, it looks weird, will be nice when he is done. I printed your blog for Grandma to read, will look forward to future installment. Your students are lucky to have you, someone who cares about them and about teaching them. Take care,
    Love Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brenda! Its good to hear from you! Thank you for sharing with Grandma, I will be calling her as soon as I get a long distance plan...
    I hope all is well with you, too.

    ReplyDelete